Roughness exceeding the criteria in 2.2.6 and notches not more than 3/16-in. deep should be removed by machining or grinding and fairing-in at a slope not to exceed 1:10. The repair of notches or gouges greater than 3/16-in. deep by welding should be permitted. The following criteria are recommended:
- The discontinuity should be suitably prepared for good welding.
- Low-hydrogen electrodes not exceeding 5/32-in. diameter should be used.
- Other applicable welding requirements of AWS D1.1 should be observed.
- The repair should be made flush with the adjacent surface with good workmanship.
- The repair should be inspected to assure soundness.
last modified 1 January 2006